Thursday, March 11, 2010

Back to basics

I must say that I've been enjoying using my 50mm lens.  It's quite sharp and has a very pleasant shallow depth of field.

This evening, after work, I was toying with the idea of watering the garden.  It's been very dry in Auckland of late and many of the plants are suffering and in serious need of a drink.  I delayed setting off the sprinkler as I thought rain might eventuate, which it did in small measure.  Just enough to moisten the iris flowers on my driveway and leave a few water droplets on the petals.

I took the shot in this post in very soft, overcast, evening light.  I used a tripod, but there was a bit of a breeze which meant I needed a reasonable shutter speed.  Compromise was f2.8, 1/60sec and ISO 800.  I must say I've been pleased with the camera and its ability to use quite high ISOs and deliver pictures which aren't too noisy.  Click on the image to enlarge it and see what you think.

Pretty flowers?  I think so.  So much so in fact that I've attached a second image of the flowers.  Any preference?  Neither image has been modified except for a bit of a crop on the second image ... hence the title ... back to basics ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment