Friday, May 18, 2012

White

White camelia in the morning light
I must admit to finding white flowers somewhat challenging to photograph.  There's as much detail in the flower be it white, red or yellow, yet to get the correct exposure in order to have a recognisable flower instead of a white blob is a bit of a challenge.  I'm not saying these shots are in anyway perfect, just letting you know I don't find it easy and letting you know what I do.
Lots of contrasts and light levels.
I always use spot metering for flowers.  My camera has quite a few focus points that I may also  use to determine exposure.  For each of the shots in this post I decided on the part of the bloom I wanted to be in focus, used the back button to focus, then moved the "focus" point to the area for which I wanted exposure and took the shot.  Only recently have I started to use back button focussing, but I think it's great.  Half pressing the shutter release to do both focus and exposure isn't always what is required and I'd suggest, if your camera has an option for back button focus, to give it a whirl.

I usually shoot RAW as this gives me a little more latitude in post production to correct any slight exposure issues, but in the case of the shots you see here, very few changes were made.

So there you go.  A challenging subject?  Perhaps let me know what you think.

Distracting background, or does the repetition of circles enhance the shot?

No comments:

Post a Comment