Friday, March 30, 2012

Westhoughton ...

I'd noticed a program on the TV here in the UK about a photographer called Francis Frith.  This gentleman attempted to photograph each city, town and village in England using what was then the new photographic camera.  We're talking about the 1850s and later.  I was seriously impressed with the quality of the images Mr. Frith and his photographers achieved and decided I'd take a stroll into Westhoughton to the library to see if they had any books about the man.  Sadly I found nothing, but did manage a couple of shots of the town on my travels.  After watching about Francis Frith I had to convert the shots to monochrome now didn't I?
Looking towards the town centre with the town hall the dominant feature centre right of the image.

Looking down the main street towards the church.

The town hall, built 1905.  Quite stunning in a very red brick.

No comments:

Post a Comment